Views in the last week

7/13/2011

Champion's Interview: Michael Steinman

Michael Steinman is victorious over 152 other Duelists, and is our newest Grand Prix Championship! I sat down with his after his Finals match to discuss his victory and various other topics!

Q: This was the first tournament with T.G. Hyper Librarian legal. Knowing that, how did you prepare for it and what made you choose Gravekeepers?
A: Throughout testing and gathering opinions from other players, we all agreed that Plants were the best deck for this tournament. I expected people to be maining tech for the Plant Mirror, and I felt by running Gravekeeper I would have an advantage over those players instead of having to rely on being lucky enough to win enough mirrors to Top. The Plant mirror can be skillful but I personally felt my odds were better of beating all the Plant players if I ran Gravekeeper.

Q: Do you any comments regarding your card choices? What worked great for you and what would you change?
A: Before the tournament, I decided to main 2 copies of Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo because of their effectiveness against Plants, Water Synchro, and Six Samurai. However, the further I advanced in the tournament the more I realized Fossil Dyna was only as good as the hand I had to back it up, and could be taken advantage of if things weren't going well. In the games I drew well, I felt like I would have won those games without Dyna. I still feel like Fossil Dyna is one of the best Side Deck cards for this deck, but in hindsight I would not have mained it.

I had also never used Fiendish Chain before this tournament, but the card was amazing for me throughout the Tournament and I never regretted maining them.

Q: Did you have any memorable matchups in the Swiss Rounds?
A:  The 1 match I remember most was Round 3, where I played my dearest friend Chris Hentz. He drew so well in the match and I just got devastated, it was beyond frustrating to lose so hard to what I thought was my best matchup. However, I wished him good luck and we both ended up topping in the end.

Q: What would you say was the biggest factor in you winning this tournament?
A: Royal Tribute!

Q: How was this Grand Prix Championship experience for you?
A: I disliked having to play 3 extra rounds of Swiss because of the Tournament crash, but overall it was worth it in the end. I realized how immature I had been acting during the end of the Swiss Rounds, and I feel like I grew considerably as a person and a player through this tournament.

Q: Do you have any shout-outs or special requests?
A: I would like to thank Chris Hentz for helping me built the deck, and the 2 Tournament Organizers, Plushie and Pengwan for working together to make sure this Grand Prix wasn't cancelled.

Me: Thank you for your time, and congratulations on your success!


This wraps up our Tournament. We hope to host the next Grand Prix at the start of the next format, so please check back in a few weeks for Registration!

No comments:

Post a Comment