Views in the last week

4/21/2011

Champion's Interview: Jesse Nguyen

Jesse Nguyen entered Top 16 with a 5-2 record. Piloting a Genex Engine Frog Monarch deck, he’s made it to the top, winning Grand Prix Championship Honolulu! I sit down with him for an interview to see what he has to say about his current success.

Me: This GPC began at the beginning of a format, following one that was dominated by Samurai and Gravekeeper’s decks. What decisions led you to running Frog Monarchs, knowing that both Samurai and Gravekeeper’s may be everywhere.

Jesse: I also took account into X-Sabers being in the Meta, along with Gladiator Beasts, because they are always used at the start of a format. I decided to play the Genex Engine Version because of how important a first turn Treeborn is to the deck. That is also why I ran the three copies of Genex Undine, which other Frog Monarch players tend to disregard. Knowing those 4 decks, I knew that they all are forced to play Mystical Space Typhoons, Trap Stuns, and 7 Tools to try and gain field control. I felt Monarchs could take advantage of decks that played those cards. I also felt people would not have side deck cards for Monarchs outside of Chain Disappearance, which is easily played around.

Me: For the most part, you side deck looks like a stand Frog Monarch side, with a couple of interesting tech choices. How did you decide what cards to side and for what match-up?

Jesse: Gravekeeper's are my worst match up because of Royal Tribute. That’s why I sided Reign-Beaux. If he is hit by Royal Tribute, it is pretty much an automatic win. Cyber Dragons are there for any machine related deck, as well as 2100 beat sticks against Gravekeeper’s, Gladiator Beasts, and even X-Sabers. D.D. Crow was mainly for Chaos Plants, stopping Debris Dragon plays and Pot of Avarice can shut them down fast. Electric Virus, sadly, was never any use to me, what-so-ever. But it is an amazing card; being able to take Machina Fortress, attacking, then tributing it is great. I feel this card will be kept in if I do decide to use Frog Monarchs again for the next GPC. I expect to see more Dragons and KMP. Burial from a Different Dimension is there to bring back my Treeborns if they get removed by Chain Disappearance. That card alone as helped me win games that I would have lost otherwise. Puppet Plant was for the Gemini/Samurai matchup. Take Shi-En, attack and tribute is always a good play. Also taking Elemental Hero Neos Alius allowed me to avoid Gemini Spark plays. Dust Tornado and Malevolent Catastrophe are for the 4 Main decks I talked about earlier. Most people side their MST's out and usually add more non-chainable cards against Monarchs. Malevolent Catastrophe won me many games.

Me: You mentioned earlier that Gravekeeper’s were your hardest match-up, but you beat two in the playoffs. Were there any other match-ups that were hard for you?

Jesse: For players who read both my feature matches against Gravekeeper’s, both players did not draw into Royal Tribute which was very lucky for me. As long as Royal Tribute is not played then Gravekeeper's turn into a beat stick deck. My two loses in Swiss were to Frog Monarchs and Gadgets. I would say both of those matches were my hardest games. As you can see from my side, I have nothing for the mirror. If the mirror has a Vanity’s Fiend in their side, they will beat me, since my only out is Enemy Controller and attacking with Genex Controller to kill it. Gadgets barely beat me though, as in game 3 he top decked Monster Reborn to run over my Ronintoadin and to swing for game.

Me: What would you say played the biggest role in your matches?

Jesse: Treeborn Frog. Without it I wouldn’t run the deck LOL. But, other than the obvious, I would have to say Enemy Controller. Standby Phase Treeborn Frog, tributing it for Enemy Controller and taking control of a monster can create huge plays.

Me: If you had to take out and add any cards to your Main Deck or Side Deck, what would you choose and why?

Jesse: I would take out Tragoedia for sure. He is good monster to have, but in all my situations throughout the GPC, I didn't have enough cards to really support him. He is a card I constantly side deck out. I would most likely replace him with Dark Dust Spirit, that card will be huge in the upcoming weeks, since everyone is going to be so Synchro monster heavy. I would most likely take out my Electric Virus for Maxx “C”, due to the Synchro heavy decks that are bound to show up in the next GPC.

Me: What was your first Grand Prix Championship experience like?

Jesse: At first, I hated how long it took for players to finish their matches. Eventually, it started to pick up pace, which I enjoyed. This is my first official DuelistGroundz tournament, which makes it even better to win it all. A lot of big name DG players were in the tournament, and it felt good for an “unknown” player like me to get my name out there.

Me: Finally, are there any people you wish to shout out?

Jesse: Robert Lim because he is getting married April 30th and he is like my older brother. He has been there for me throughout most of my life. Thao, my best friend who wished me luck throughout the tournament. Pengwan and Riders on the Storm for see potential in me before this tournament, Carbon and Wiggles for their support, my parents and family, and, finally, God.

Me: Thank you for the interview Jesse, and good luck in your future events!

No comments:

Post a Comment