Views in the last week

4/19/2011

Deck Profile: Tony Scott's Miracle Hero Beat

Tony has decided to enter the competition with his unique Ice Edge Hero Beat, a deck that mixes the raw power of the well known Hero Beat decks of last format with Miracle Fusion. This deck recently received a significant boost with the release of Elemental Hero - The Shining, and Scott has wasted no time putting this card to use.

Monsters: 11
3 Elemental Hero Ice Edge
3 Elemental Hero Neos Alius
2 Cyber Dragon
1 Elemental Hero Ocean
1 Elemental Hero Stratos
1 Gorz Emissary of the Darkness

Spells: 18
3 E - Emergency Call
3 Super Polymerization
3 Miracle Fusion
3 Gemini Spark
2 Pot of Duality
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Future Fusion

Traps: 11
2 Dimensional Prison
2 Solemn Warning
2 Hero Blast
1 Anti Spell Fragrance
1 Xing Zhen Hu
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Solemn Judgement

Side Deck:
2 Mobius the Frost Monarch
2 Caius the Shadow Monarch
2 Snowman Eater
3 Skyscraper
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
2 Starlight Road
1 Anti Spell Fragrence
1 Xing Zhen Hu

Extra DeckL
2 Elemental Hero Absolute Zero
2 Elemental Hero The Shining
2 Elemental Hero Gaia
2 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon
1 Dragon Knight Draco-Equiste
1 Cyber Twin Dragon
2 Stardust Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Brionac Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Ally of Justice Catastor

The following is my interview with Scott regarding his deck and card choices.

Q: What made you choose this deck for the tournament?
A: The format is very undefined right now and I feel my deck has a lot of solid match-ups. I predict the meta to be full of Trap Stun, and with 6 useful mained Quick-Play Spells my deck can handle that much better than most. Super Polymerization is a card that really catches people off guard and can just win games vs. Trap Stun plays. I tested this deck a good bit at the end of last format and I feel very comfortable with it heading into the new format.

Q: How do you feel about your odds entering the tournament?
A: I feel that there are players better than myself in this tournament but the match-up my Deck has versus most of the top decks of the format will narrow that gap significantly. I feel this match-up is one they may not have tested extensively and I plan to use that to my advantage.

Q: How does your deck match up against the other predicted top decks of the format?
A: My deck matches up great with most decks of the format. Versus Samurai, Kizan and Kagemusha are both Super Polymerization bait. I can set my Hero then activate Super Polymerization to get Elemental Hero Gaia. Samurai also struggle with consistent 1900 beaters backed by Gemini Spark.

Gladiator Beasts have a poor match-up vs Hero Beat and it continues here. All their main explosion is hit very hard by Super Polymerization (Prisma, Darius, Tiger), and almost all of my Normal Summons are naturally bigger than theirs. The match-up becomes even easier after siding.

Fish and Frog Monarch are full of Water monsters, which means I can Super Polymerization into Absolute Zero with ease. Absolute Zero works against all the major power cards off both these decks.

Gravekeeper is the one deck I feel my deck has significant trouble with Game 1. I hope to win the game with Ice Edge and Gemini Spark plays. Game 2 I side in Skyscraper, which gives them a lot of trouble with Ice Edge, Caius, and Mobius.

Q: Explain the unique card choices in your deck and your reasoning behind them.
A: Elemental Hero Ice Edge forces out defensive removal like Prison & Warning before my opponent wants to use them while being a Water-attribute Hero to support Miracle Fusion. He is the key aspect of my deck and can win games single handedly if protected properly. Cyber Dragon + Ice Edge or Miracle Fusion + Ice Edge is a strong play that wins games.

Super Polymerization is just a ridiculous card in this metagame. With Book of Moon at 1 most players do not fear Quick-Play spells and this card punishes that mindset.

Regardless of the result, this deck definitely has potential against the current format. If you are one of the many players who misses having consistent answers to Trap Stun, this deck is worth looking into. We will keep our eye on Scott's progress during the tournament to see if his theories work themselves out over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment